August 10, 2007

Review: Disturbia

Having stayed in the No. 1 spot in the US box-office charts for 3 weeks, I had high hopes for this movie. I was greatly disappointed as all I got was a disposable teen comedy in disguise.

Shia LaBeouf plays Kale, a teenager who has been put under house-arrest after he assaulted his teacher. Getting bored at home, he starts to spy on his neighbors. Soon he starts to notice some strange behavior going on with Mr Turner who lives across the street, and suspects that he could be the serial killer who has been stalking women recently.

Shia is not a bad actor. I can see why he's currently one of the most popular young stars around. Unfortunately there's not much script for him to work on.

The first hour played like a Disney channel movie, which might not be too bad if you are a teenager. The suspense and thrills only picks up in the last 30 minutes or so. Whoever said that this is a remake of 'Rear Window' is out of his mind! Anyway, if you're a teenager, chances are you've never heard of Hitchcock. So that's ok because this movie was certainly made with that target age in mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I watched this movie a while ago in the theater and I thought Shia did an excellent performance.
He's Hollywood's rising star.
and I think he'll do great in Indiana Jones 4 next year

www.ramasscreen.com